Saturday, October 20, 2007

Homelessness is the new Africa, except a hell of a lot cheaper

It seems to be the trend nowadays. Maybe it's not a trend, but a revolution (or maybe its a trend brought on by someone else's Revolution--sorry, i couldn't resist making that reference...it was Irresistible...ha. maybe only i thought that was funny, but that's ok because that makes up 33% of the people who will read this) Anyway, yes homelessness. I had a long meeting with Becky Modesto yesterday about bread of life and homeless ministry. We talked about ways to handle all the eagerness to get involved. The thing is, having all the people who want to be involved is kind of overwhelming because homelessness is a very fragile thing, and its quite rude to think that just because you bring a few PB&J's and the best intentions you have the right to come into someone's living space and stay awhile. Oh crap, did I just convict myself?

In response to all the interest, we (some really spiritual people with leadership positions) are going to be taking steps to educate the point loma community (get over it) about homeless ministry. During my meeting with Beck-dawg she asked me if I found any unexpected prejudices while doing ministry. As much as I hate this, I really do have prejudice against the point loma community. I have a lot of doubt about the sincerity of this sudden interest in homelessness. I don't think people realize the commitment that homeless ministry takes and I only say that because I am only starting to realize it. In homeless ministry we don't minister to the homeless, we minister to homeless people, ideally. Ahh I'm getting frustrated writing this because I don't understand anything this paragraph is done.

Well actually what I really wanted to say was that if I really cared about homeless ministry, I think I would get really excited about all the sudden enthusiasm of homeless outreach. After all didn't Paul say that the important thing is, whether from false motives or true, that the word of God is preached? And how can I judge people's motives without even giving them a chance. I hope that in the future I can have more faith in point loma and ultimately more faith in God and his work in the ministry. I hope that I can look past my doubts and concentrate on the opportunities we have. We are the church and we should be in this together and I really don't want my prejudice to get in the way of God's justice. I know that none of us really know how to do good homeless ministry, but we can learn if we are taught.

4 comments:

X-tina said...

Hey Maddie...I was thinking about you today while I was at the point loma vs apu soccer game.
How have you been?
Oh and I am undeclared right now, but I'm pretty sure its going to be psychology though. What's your major?

Julie Thomsen said...

Well, it does seem a little pretentious that we show up with PB&J and force ourselves on people. And you might be right about the influence of one Shane Claiborne's revolution, though who knows. Yet sometimes we the people who intend to go and force ourselves on others often find that those others end up forcing themselves on us in unforgettable ways. Maybe our wicked and pretentious hearts, in the process, are warped and twisted by the wiles of this remarkable thing called ministry to a shape that mysteriously resembles the cross. Maybe going into it we didn't want to be changed, we just wanted to feel like good people (assuming that that is the source of your prejudice - if I'm wrong, I welcome you to set me straight). Maybe we Beacon of Lighters feel like we've got something to boast for supporting the truly irreplaceable but somehow insupportable ministry that ran afoul of Becky, er, Beck-dawg and and our involvement affords us a badge of self-righteousness. Maybe we deliverers of your Bread of Life gravitate towards this opportunity for title and respect from those who witness our activities and proclaim us as saints. But maybe the experience with Michael and Molly and Monica and Milton and Marvin and Otis and Tony and Duran and Elizabeth and Alex and Robert and their dogs suddenly . . . makes the homeless into homeless people.

I'm a little skeptical about skepticism, I've learned. Unfortunately being open-minded is hardly my gift, and it's unsettlingly educational to dissect myself and discover what unusual specimens of needless hatred dwell in the murky caverns of my subconscious. In your case, Most Revered Roommate, I wonder if we wouldn't benefit from each other. Ye, oh Spiritual Person with a Leadership Position, can teach me what it means to be a minister. And I, the Spiritless Participant with Wild Enthusiasm, can teach you how to teach me.

lauren said...

i had no idea you had a blog. but i love that book as well, it rocked my world.

The Ton Face said...

Maddie, I understand your distrust in the sudden interest in the ministry your involved. But remember that the ministry you are involved in is God's ministry, and he will do with it what he pleases. He doesn't need your help, but has invited you into the work He was already doing. So, who knows, this new found interest could be completely out of selfish motivation for a lot of people, but that's not anybodies responsibility but theirs. In the meantime, just remind yourself that God is in control, and your helping Him for His glory, and nothing else! :-)

Check out Experiencing God by Henry Blackaby and Claude King. It has really helped me put my roll in ministry into a more Godly perspective lately.

P.S. I'm glad you blog, I enjoy finding out that more and more people I know do.