Saturday, October 27, 2007

Dirt

Coming up at Point Loma is a "theology on tap" discussion about the question "does God have a plan?" I've been thinking about it a lot because I don't really think I understand the significance of the question. I don't like it too much. To me it seems regardless of the answer to that question, we have to live and make choices. In my experience God hasn't given me a lot of insight into the specifics of this "plan" before I live it, and I find he cares more about the way that I live than the what that I live. He tells me the way more than the what.

However, certain pericapies (yes!) in the Bible seem to show that who and what we are is kind of out of our hands. That's discouraging to me, especially when I read the parable of the sower and I start to think about which dirt I am. We are the dirt in that parable right? That's what I thought. Anyway, if I am the dirt with the thorns, I'm not too happy about that. But I don't really know how to go about changing that. I really want to be good dirt, however my life has shown that I definitely am a little thorny. ha. What I mean is in the past, the worries, pleasures, and greed in the world get in the way of the growth of the word of God in my life. And I feel like I have seen people who are good dirt, and I'm not like them. If I'm stuck being throny dirt I'm pissed.

Jesus, what's your point, why would you even tell us this parable if we had no hope of change. Can I be good dirt?

1 comment:

kelcey said...

sounds like what we were talking about last night...and i agree with you about the whole significance of the question, but i think that approaching it erring on the side of boldness and assuming we can change God's mind is how i would do so. i think that there are some things that we cannot change about us, but would a loving God create people who are destined to fail? isn't it the ever-present grace we were talking about that would allow the Holy Spirit to change our hearts and become that "good dirt?" i dunno...i just cannot accept the fact that what we are is out of our hands. out of our hands, i guess, in the sense that we voluntarily surrender the decisions we make to allowing God to work through them, thus he molds us and shapes us into what he originally created humanity to do, but that result is not the "thorny dirt."

i dunno...this is kind of a ramble that i haven't really thought through that well, so just throwing that out there...