Saturday, June 27, 2009

Jesus Prayer




I’ve been busy since my last update things like paint projects, VBS, meals, hang out time, runs, and climbing up rocks and mesas have taken up most of my time. I’ll write more about the happenings later, when I can include some photos. For now, here’s some thing I’ve been thinking about:





I was reading Reaching Out by Heri Nouwen (I like to read every Nouw en again…. Ha ha). Anyway so Nouwen writes a lot about prayer and solitude and in this book he teaches us to pray by teaching us an ancient prayer uttered by Haychast Christians called the “Jesus prayer” consisting of the simple words “Lord Jesus Christ, have mercy upon me.” I’ve heard this prayer before, and in the past I’ve tried to make it a part of my life, but until recently I have never found any comfort in it. The prayer served to remind me more of me and how I’m always needing grace and mercy, which of course, is true and probably needed in my life more than I like to admit. Yet, prayer is not really about beating ourselves up; it is a chance for the Spirit in us to commune with the Father on our behalf. In this we find place for us to be, rest, cry, and/or rejoice, but mostly we pray in obedience to enter into the community of God. Anyway, I’ve found it more beneficial lately to carry the words of the Jesus prayer in my heart throughout the day along with a response that says “Lord, thank you for your mercy.”





I think that a response of gratitude to God’s mercy not only reminds us that we not only are in need of God’s mercy, but that God gives us mercy according to God’s unfailing love. It not only reminds us of our condition, but also of God’s. It challenges us to see the redemption in our lives, despite our ever-present need for grace. So, take that on the road with you if it will fit in your pack.



No comments: