Saturday, December 1, 2007

Because of Winn-Dixie

Friday at the elementary school I borrowed the book, Because of Winn-Dixie. I read it Saturday morning, and I was actually quite pleased with myself because I've never finished a whole book like that in a morning. It didn't occur to me until after I'd finished it that all I'd managed to do was read a 183 page book that was relatively the same size as my hand,size 12 font and double spaced proving to me and every one who questioned that I indeed had surpassed the fourth grade reading level.

None the less I thoroughly enjoyed the book and I got a lot out of it. I think I may read some more children's books because I figure that everything you teach children is more or less everything worth knowing. Maybe I can finish the Chronicles of Narnia (or as I like to call them the Chronicles of gnar gnar- silent "g" of course) over break.

Anyway Because of Winn-Dixie has this interesting quote that spoke to me, "Gloria says that you can't hold on to anything. That you can only love what you've got while you've got it" (DiCamillo 167). I feel like we know that nothing lasts forever so a lot of my love may be motivated by making people want to stick around more. But I'm being taught how to love people not because I want them to stay, but just because they are there. I want to be more aware of what/who I've got and how to best love them and enjoy them for the sake of the moment.

The book also makes me want a dog.

No comments: