Monday, December 3, 2007

Advent Resolution: Waiting

I learned on Sunday that waiting is a spiritual discipline. I never considered that before (but Foster didn't add into the Celebration of Discipline, so its not my fault). I feel like I've been trained to combat every problem in life with prayer and action, because if something is going wrong, we should fix it. To simply stop thinking, considering, trialing, creating, etc, and instead to just wait is a new concept.

This is a little dangerous isn't it? Maybe I'm afraid that waiting will lead to idleness, but maybe my fear is deeper than that. What if I'm really afraid to wait because I don't know what to wait for? What if I work not to keep me from being lazy, but what if I work because I'm not satisfied what God would have me wait for. So I work and imagine more and more in a vain attempt to find a conclusion that suits me.

I think that God does give us power to change things here on earth. I think God wants us to dream and hope for better than what we see. However, even in the midst of ministry and the love's best intentions there is room for patience. As a resoltion for this new year, I think that as I go into ministry I want to be guided by more than trial and error, and instead wait for God to reveal opportune moments through the Holy Spirit for me to act in. After all it's God, not I, that is mighty to save.

I'm trying to learn: How do we wait? Please contribute.

Psalm 131

1 My heart is not proud, O LORD,
my eyes are not haughty;
I do not concern myself with great matters
or things too wonderful for me.
2 But I have stilled and quieted my soul;
like a weaned child with its mother,
like a weaned child is my soul within me.

3 O Israel, put your hope in the LORD
both now and forevermore.

1 comment:

Jeff said...

mmmm.... good stuff ms. flaig.