Thursday, July 24, 2008

Poem a day project: day 2

So I'm going through the book "The Poet's Companion" by Kim Addonizio and Dorianne Laux. In the introduction they say good poems the writer writes about what they know and asks a question. Here's a funny excerpt from a poem by Ellery Akers that illustrates writing about the mundane:

"I cook, I shell peas, breaking open the pods at the veins with a snap: I take vitamins--all the hard, football-shaped pills--sometimes they get stuck in my gullet and I panic and think what a modern way to die, they'll come and find my dead, perfectly healthy body."

Ok so here's my second attempt at a poem. Its a little rough in some parts but c'est la vie. I have no rhythm or structure. I don't know how. In all honesty I really don't know what I'm doing. So I just write sentences of sorts.



My Chore

All I can do is wait
to rake the fallen leaves come autumn.
And all the other fallen things.
Springs best efforts retire as memories
and become a chore.

With all the fallen leaves
I remember
fallen plans
fallen short of the intent
the times I’ve fallen from grace
and blaming the fall of man
the heart fallen to pieces
after having fallen in love.
And all the other times I fall for no reason it seems.

With the fallen leaves I leave those dreams.

My hopes now lie in worm excrement.
My hope is reduced to dirt.
Perhaps my dirt may flower,
and blossom into something beautiful
or become something sweet
and nourishing.
No doubt though some will produce
next season’s fallen leaves.

1 comment:

Josh Seligman said...

Hey Maddie, I like the tone, rhyme, and rhythm of your poem. It's cool that you are writing one per day.